Roasted tomato soup is in season, or at least tomatoes are. They are ripe, taste sweet and have indulged the ray’s of the sun throughout the summer. Well, at least the bits of it, there was this week in August here in Southern Sweden. Summer came and left just as quickly. But not to worry, we can still indulge the flavours summer brought to us.
Now everyone who knows me, knows I’m a huge fan of summer. I love the warmth and lazy endless summer days. But I have to be honest, I love the food that is in season during autumn the best. All the beautiful colours and they taste different too. There is something beautiful about the food that has been able to grow and mature during the warm summer months. Like beautiful tomatoes that are easily made into gorgeous and healthy roasted tomato soup.
I made this specific version with oven grilled tomatoes and added a little chilli to it to spice it up. Now in Sweden, we love our Friday taco nights. This tomato soup is a perfect addition to the Friday taco. Add a little guacamole and some tortilla crisps. And you have yourself a healthy, hearty tomato soup, where the Scandinavian flavours meet the Mexican. Add a spoonful cream cheese on top of it and enjoy these flavours
Roasted tomato soup
- 500 gr organic tomatoes
- 5-6 cloves of garlic
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 tsp flaked salt
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp ground white pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp vegetable broth
- 250 gr whole cream/or oat cream
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp flaked salt
- 10 gr tortilla crisps
- Step 1 Preheat oven to 225 degrees Celcius and if half the tomatoes if you are using big ones. If you use smaller ones, just leave them as is.
- Step 2 Pour olive oil over tomatoes add cloves of garlic and bay leaves.
- Step 3 Roast in the oven for about 25M.
- Step 4 Take the bay leaves out and pour the rest into a pot, include all the juices.
- Step 5 Mix it together with a hand mixer and bring to a boil.
- Step 6 Add the preferred cream, chilli flakes,vegetable broth, salt, pepper and let it simmer for about 10M.
- Step 7 Mash avocado together with lemon juice, chopped coriander and salt.
- Step 8 Squash tortilla crisps into small crumbs.
- Step 9 Serve the soup in a bowl and top with guacamole and tortilla crumbles.
If you like seasonal soups maybe you would enjoy a delicious beetroot soap or chanterelle soup too?