Who wouldn’t want to wake up to the smell of bakery style apple muffins? I have three apple trees in my garden. As you can imagine there is quite an overflow of apples. These apple muffins are so moist I was even surprised myself. Make a double batch, you will want to have these in your freezer. If the apple muffins make it to the freezer that is…
Apple muffins and more
So I was contemplating what to do with all the apples in our garden. I mean as much as I love apples there is only so much you can do with them, right?
I mean my favourite is overnight bircher with apples. I have also made my speciality, apple cake with white chocolate. Now with the baking frenzy on, apple muffins were only a matter of time. What makes them stand out is the dark brown sugar and the pinch of salt. And they will melt in your mouth they are so moist.
Apples to use
For this recipe, I used red apples that are firm. That way they will soft but firm. They are also more sweet than sour, which I like. Of course, this is a personal preference. But this way you don’t have to use as much sugar.
Also, make sure that if you use a mealy type they tend to be a bit more watery when you bake them. It can make your apple muffins a bit soggy. Therefore if you use a mealy type of apple dust them with cornstarch after you cut them into small pieces.
Tips and tricks
My number one trick to get your apple muffins super moist is to make them by hand. You can beat the butter, sugar and egg with an electric beater.
- Use your rubber spatula to mix.
- Make sure that you mix flour and baking powder well. There shouldn’t be any lumps.
- Either use a sifter when you mix the butter mixture with the flour or just do it little at a time.
- Don’t overmix. A lot of times people do this and when you mix in too much air your muffins will be rubbery.
- Top the apple muffins with dark brown sugar and cinnamon. This will make the top crunchy top and the inside moist.
Bakery style apple muffins
Vad du behöver:
- 125 gr butter softened
- 125 gr brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 225 gr flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp powdered vanilla
- 220 ml Greek yoghurt
- 2 large red apples
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 0,5 tbsp ground cinnamon
Så här gör du:
- Put the oven to 200 C/fan. Line a muffin tray with muffin cases.
- Whisk butter and sugar until fluffy. Add one at a time.
- Mix flour, baking soda and vanilla in a bowl. Mix it with the butter mix by hand with a rubber spatula. Add the yoghurt and mix until you get a smooth batter.
- Cut the apples into smaller bits and add salt. Add the apples into the muffin batter.
- Fill the muffin cases almost to the top with the batter. Mix dark brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of the muffins before baking them in the middle of the oven for 17 minutes.