The overnight bircher with apples is not as new as one might think. It was invited by the Swiss doctor Bircher, who tried to get his institutionalized patients to eat more raw fruit. He was convinced that he had been cured of jaundice as a child by eating raw apples. Now, whether this is the case or not, this recipe has certainly made a come back after almost a 100 years. Bercher’s original recipe suggests condensed milk, which by today’s standards wouldn’t be considered healthy. So I have made some changes to it. As apple season is still going strong, overnight bircher with apples is a must! I do hope you enjoy it!
Overnight bircher with apples
13th October 2017
: 5 min
- 300 gr (3 dl) oats
- 3 gr (3 dl) milk of your choice - I prefer almond milk for this
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 2-3 tsp ground cinnamon
- 4 apple rings
- 25 gr (1/2 dl) chopped apples - dried
- pinch of salt
- a handful of almonds
- 1 fig (optional)
- Step 1 Put all the dry ingredients in a container and cover it with the milk of your choice.
- Step 2 Put the lid on the container, put the mixture in the fridge and leave it overnight.
- Step 3 Serve topped with cinnamon and figs (or fruits of your choice)