I made a post on my Instagram this week about hell hour. Let’s continue down that road. Because let’s face it, school just started. We have a long way until Christmas break. Sweet potato jackets bake themselves in the oven. The topping takes about 5 minutes to do. That leaves you being able to do whatever else you want to do until the oven clock rings.
Sweet potato jacket - baked in the oven
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 3 tbs olive oil good quality
- 120 gr hummus
- 30 gr pistachios
- 60 gr cooked chickpeas
Sour cream dill topping
- 100 gr pickled peppers
- 100 gr sour cream
- 1 tsp flaked salt
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- 1 tbsp lemon juice optional
- Heat oven to 220C fan. Oil the sweet potatoes, then put them straight on a fitted sheet and roast for 45 mins or until tender all the way through when pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sour cream and dill filling. Chop the dill and mix it with lemon juice and sour cream. And either make your own hummus or use a good quality already made.
- Cut the potatoes in half and gently squeeze the ends together a little bit. That way the sweet potato jacket will open up a little bit more. Top with the hummus, chickpeas and pistachios. And/or with sour cream dill filling with pickled peppers.
Sweet potato jacket
While not really related to the ”normal” potato they are almost equally as starchy. However, the sweet potato contains more vitamins. Especially vitamin A. Vitamin A is especially good for your eyesight.
Therefore if you need another reason to make this sweet potato jacket other than that is it superbly delicious. I just gave you one.
Choosing the toppings
For this particular sweet potato jacket recipe, I used good quality store bought hummus. And instead, I made a quick topping using sour cream, lemon juice and chopped dill. Sour cream is such a good base to use for any topping really.
The sour cream with the dill compliments the sweet potato really well. And the pickled pepper adds both texture and a certain richness to the sweet potato jacket.
To save time you may want to get good quality toppings instead of making your own. That is totally fine, just make sure you don’t have additives in them. Chop up some veggies for texture and adding flavours. If you are not allergic, nuts are great to top with too.
All in all, I’m a huge fan of good meals that are quick and healthy. This sweet potato jacket even bakes itself in the oven.
I would love to hear from you. Share the recipe if you like it or comment it below. Have a happy Friday!