Almond fish – with turmeric and dill
Almond fish is cod fillet with a breadcrumb and almond coating. This is what I remember most from my school lunches. That and some other not so memorable dishes too. In Sweden, we get free lunch in school. And although I wasn’t a fan of Swedish food back then, the almond fish was one dish I liked.
Almond fish is a dish that family wouldn’t make for dinner at our home. My grandmother used to make Hungarian food, and I don’t remember her ever making something Swedish at all. Therefore Swedish food tasted very foreign to me.
Although perhaps it’s not the most exciting way to get introduced to Swedish food, eating school lunches. It has changed in many schools over the years though. And a lot of school restaurants have wonderful cooks.
Cod fillets with breadcrumb and almond coating is a very Scandinavian dish. Simple, yet very tasty. Good news is that cod is easy to make and this particular dish creates itself in the oven, quickly.
Typically this dish is made with flaked almonds and no dill. However, I much prefer almond flour in food than flaked almonds. Dill is the epitome of Swedish food. Even though it’s doesn’t originate from Scandinavia, dill is the most Scandinavian flavour I know.
(for those interested dill originates from India and the Mediterranian countries)
I serve this dish with mashed potatoes adding a little bit of browned butter and peas.
Cod fillets with breadcrumbs and almond coating
- 800 gr cod fillets
- 150 gr breadcrumbs
- 60 gr almond flour
- 2-3 tbs fresh dill chopped
- 1 tbs turmeric
- 2 tsp flaked salt
- 1 tsp rosé pepper
- 150 gr butter use 125 gr for the breadcrumb coating and the rest under the fish
- Set the oven to 220 C/fan.
- Either you start by doing your own breadcrumbs or melt the butter.
- Chop the dill and mix it with breadcrumbs, almond flour, turmeric, flaked salt and pepper.
- Slice the remaining butter, cover an oven dish and place the fish on top. Spread the mixture evenly on top of the fish.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and pees.
If you would like to see this recipe step by step visually, please visit my Instagram and check out my stories. And as usual, I would love it if you would comment, share and like!